6 Features to look for in Top Online Schools
June 8th, 2012
There are many top online schools offering a variety of online degree programs. How do you choose one from this lot? While choosing the top online schools, you should consider features like accreditation, rankings and reviews of students who have already pursued online degree programs from that institute.
Here are some features you need to consider:
Features of a Top Online School
Not all online degrees are equal and you should look for the following things to ensure you get a degree that is worth your time, money, and effort.
- Accreditation is very important for online schools as it ensures that the institute is acknowledged by an independent agency and the education they are providing is of high quality and credible. If you are on the lookout for an accredited school offering online degree programs of your choice, you can search the database of the US Department of Education of accredited postsecondary institutions and programs. It includes about 6,900 accredited colleges and programs. You can even check their websites to find out if they are accredited.
- Look out for independent rankings offered to your online college. One way to check rankings is through the Online Education Database. This database ranks the online college on the basis of number of years the school has been accredited, the financial aid it offers, citations on its website by friends and the student-faculty ratio.
- The most important aspect for evaluating a top online school is the review of the students and their experiences. They will be able to give feedback on the various aspects of the college, whether they were able to finish their degree on time or faster, their experience with financial aid and their views about the mentors and instructors. You can also check whether there are any negative reviews about it and how often it has got so that you can decide.
- You should also evaluate the experience and expertise of the mentors and instructors who teach at the online college. It is very important that you check out their credentials.
- The financial aid offered should be varied and should include private as well as federal loans. Most good online colleges provide grants for students who are capable and show academic excellence.
- Another feature to look for is the variety of online programs offered by the online schools. Online degrees should be offered at different academic levels and in various disciplines.
If you are planning to choose a top online school to pursue your higher education you should evaluate the various features and only then decide on one which matches your needs and requirements.